Bring a little taste of the beach to your home with a delicious and easy-to-make barbacoa taco dinner! This slow cooker gem is perfect for serving at parties or on days when you just cannot fathom spending more than 15 minutes in the kitchen because your time could be better spent elsewhere (like booking your next beach vacation).
With just a few simple steps, these slow cooker barbacoa tacos are sure to become an instant favorite. This recipe packs a spicy punch but is sure to transport you back to sunnier times at the beach, specially when paired with a refreshing Pink Señorita Cocktail!
Slow Cooker Barbacoa Tacos
- 2 pounds barbacoa
- Ground black pepper
- 6 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup packed cilantro leaves
- 1 to 4 chipotle peppers in adobo plus 1 to 2 tablespoons reserved sauce
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 ounces beef broth
- 6 ounces Mexican beer
- Season barbacoa on both sides with salt and ground black pepper. Place in the bottom of a large slow cooker.
- Mix together garlic, cilantro, chipotle peppers plus adobo sauce, lime juice, tomato paste, cumin, chili powder, garlic salt, and oregano.
- Spread half of chipotle mixture over the top of the barbacoa. Flip over and spread remaining mixture over other side.
- Pour broth and beer into the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
- Remove from slow cooker. Skim fat and shred pieces with forks.
- Return to slow cooker, stir meat to soak up liquid, and reheat for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serve on tortillas and enjoy!
When the time comes, we can all enjoy authentic barbacoa tacos at our favorite Mexican beach! Think about what destination you would like to visit next and get ready to travel later.